Here is a neat product that looked interesting when we read about it.
If you want to be able to display video content from your PC to your big screen TV, then this might be just the thing for you.
It is available in SD (480i) and HD (1080p) version at $99 and $139 respectively. For the extra $40 it looks to me like the best configuration would be the HD Version.
It’s Features include:
- Streams Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, YouTube and other Internet sites
- Built-in wireless PC to TV link
- Easy to setup, easy to use
- Compatible with Mac OS X (10.5, 10.6), Windows 7, and Vista
- Ideal for laptops
- Use laptop keyboard & track pad to control playback
and on the HD you also get:
- Plays 1080p HD movie files
- Optical audio output for surround sound
- HDMI connector
- Displays photos and desktop in HD
- Two (2) USB ports for future support of webcams and external hard-drives
The magic behind the product is that it is using Wireless USB based technology (WUSB). WUSB uses radio technology in the Ultra-wideband realm. This high-bandwidth, low-power method of wireless data transmission enables the secure, high-speed connection required for functions like HD Video transmission. Intel has helped to support this initiative and we are now seeing it come in products like this one. One of the other benefits is that it is a secured transmission so you don’t have to worry about it being intercepted.
Wireless USB creates a secure point-to-point connection between your laptop and your TV. WUSB is more powerful than traditional WiFi because it offers more bandwidth, better security and less interference over short distances.
Best performance of this device comes when all of the equipment is in the same room. I look forward to testing this out when I get my hands on it.